Panorama of San Bernardino

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Cruel Cruel Beautiful World Part 3

We were back at the Rose Bowl after a day of relaxing poolside in our beautiful room at the Langham, finally here for Cruel World part two. We arrived early to be safe and after waiting in line for thirty minutes we were in, rushing to our place in the Clubhouse viewing area to see Gary Numan. Numam put on a fantastic set. His music was so dark and his stage performance theatrical and mesmerizing. His voice was captivating. You could feel his love for it. 

Next up was Iggy Pop. A rock powerhouse in his seventies. He rocked that stage and held us in the palm of his hands. Iggy did a lot of Stooges and I pogo danced, singing along with my husband. Of course, one highlight was him doing The Passsenger, which is more of a poem than a song really. 

By the time Siouxsie came on, it was nighttime and the moon was out, a fitting environment for a dark wave queen. The crowd was packed and people were screaming her name. We separated and my husband went side middle, because being over six feet tall, he has that luxury. I went side front, about five from the side of the stage. I was sad because the night before I had been second from the stage. But it would have to do. To say I was into it is an understatement. 

When Dear Prudence came on, I moved to the back and danced in circles to the rest of her set. From Cities in Dust to Happy House to Christine to Spellbound, I danced and danced, for almost an hour, all by myself, hands in the air, in my very own world. I lost myself and found myself. 

It was magic. It was surreal and real. I was sixteen again. A high school kid who needed to escape the chaos and sadness and who found Siouxsie's music to escape into. I time traveled. 

And landed right back in Pasadena.



No comments:

Post a Comment