Panorama of San Bernardino

Sunday, May 7, 2023

Whirlwind

I am on my third performing event this week. Let me tell ya, it's been a whirlwind.

On Wednesday, I had the time of my life at UCR. It was such an honor to present at the Tomás Rivera Conference. I read for over thirty minutes (which for me is a long read as ten to fifteen minutes is my usual sweet spot). Then I was on a panel moderated by one of my idols, IE writer Susan Straight (buy her latest book Mecca, it's so beautifully done) with epic UCR Professor Alex Espinoza (get his amazing books Still Water Saints and Cruising) and the poet Gabriel Ibarra, winner of the Alta California Chapbook Prize for On Display, a must read.

Not only is Susan a warm, supportive writer and professor, but she's so down to earth that she made me feel right at home. Plus, she had the best questions. She went deep. I got emotional toward the end thinking of my dad. Wishing he was still here to see all this. But at least I know what he would say. "I'm proud of you Jenny..."

Then Thursday, another jaw dropping evening at the Riverside Library. I was on an Inlandia panel moderated by Cati Porter with UCR Professor Richard Rodriguez who wrote one of my favorite books about music ever, "A Kiss Across the Ocean", it's a post punk masterpiece. It was a dream come true to talk post punk music and memoir with Richard.

Today, I will read with 15 other writers at the Culver Center for the Arts celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the Inlandia Literary Journey column in the Press Enterprise. It's the last event for a while and I find it fitting to end on a journalistic note. 

Everything is so wonderful now writing and performing wise. Something feels right, like I'm in the zone. It's been a whirlwind, and a wonderful week.


No comments:

Post a Comment