Panorama of San Bernardino

Friday, May 26, 2023

Cruel Cruel Beautiful World Part 2

So Cruel World was canceled. We were devastated. The parking lot was full of disappointed dark wave fans. Wails of "No Siouxsie!" echoed through the parking lot and many heavily lined eyes were ruined by tears of disappointment (including my own).  

How could this happen? It wasn't even raining (there were lightning strikes so I understand in retrospect, but that night it was baffling). After our friends found us, we went and ate barbecue at a restaurant in Pasadena and commiserated. We had a nice talk and each said with disappointment occasionally with a sigh, "No Siouxsie..."  

You see, to dark wave music fans like us, getting to see Siouxsie was like seeing a goddess, a dark wave super star and we were sad. We also knew she might never return to the States.

After dinner, at the hotel, I crashed and woke up like I always do at 4 am. Then I went to my social media and found out that Cruel World was back on! They had added a second night. What? Was this for real? Siouxsie was playing along with Iggy and Gary Numan. Wow. 

I woke Adrian up who said, "No way, I'm tired." From four to seven am, I stressed. Did he really mean he didn't want to go? I knew we both worked Monday, so I understood. But man, I wanted to stay. You only live once and this is Siouxsie. When he woke up, I anxiously posed the query again. And he said immediately with no hesitation, "Babe of course! It's Siouxsie. Let's do it." 

This taught me two things. First, don't ask people important questions when they're half asleep. And two, we are soul mates for a reason.

To be continued...



No comments:

Post a Comment