Panorama of San Bernardino

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Just create

I've been thinking a lot about art. About creation. What compels one to be a creative? What makes art? A story? A song? I would argue it's the intention to birth something true.

Recently, I read an oral history of one of my favorite albums, Dramarama's Cinéma Vérité.

In the article, the band discusses how they worked at a record store that the bassist Chris Carter owned, they all loved music, and so they wanted to make a record and did. Heavily influenced by both the Velvet Underground and Bowie, both of whom they covered on the album, the record to me is pretty much perfect. It made me think that not every artistic endeavor has to take more than a decade like my memoir did. Maybe some things just happen because you make them happen.

Perhaps all one needs is time and focus, which is usually the providence of youth. Once you have that full-time job, with its full-time demands, it's hard to have time. But after reading this article, I've decided to just do it. I will just write my third book, out of whole cloth and I'll put it together with staples and glue if I have to. Because the whole act of making something real and authentic is the point to it all. That's it. Just create.

No comments:

Post a Comment