Panorama of San Bernardino

Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Cruel cruel beautiful world part 1

This has been a chaotic but soul sustaining week. Music is my inspiration and it's what keeps me going and living. We started out Thursday night at the famous western saloon style venue, Pappy's & Harriet's in Joshua Tree. We were there for Adam Ant who cancelled. 

We couldn't cancel the room next door so drove over anyway and had barbecue. We lounged in the tiny motel room cracking up that it reminded us of our first apartment together in San Francisco. It made me realize that Adrian and I really don't need much to be happy. Good food, a bed to sleep in, and some beer. That's about it. In the morning, we visited the living desert in Palm Desert and marveled at the giraffes, a rhinoceros and big cat jaguars. The walk was nice and it wasn't too hot, until it was. 

Saturday was Cruel World and we got to our hotel early trading the western blue collar life for an upscale room at the Langham in Pasadena. We headed right over to the concert festival venue at the Rose Bowl and Adrian (trying to be fancy) sprung for an Uber XL which was hysterically more of a Disney ride than an Uber, complete with stuffed animals and NFL stickers. I was surprised they let the van drive in. 

The driver was a kind, older guy from LA and we told him he should add mocktails and a table to the mini van. 

Once we got to Cruel World, we waited in line then pretty quickly, we were in. 

We made our way to the Clubhouse which was pretty frigging awesome with lots of comfy seating, a vegan buffet line and all you can drink beer and cocktails. Dangerous, yes, but fun. We sat outside in the patio in lounge chairs and listened to the opening acts. 

I was anxious and smoked a few cigarettes and saw a friend, then drank a few too many beers too quickly. They just kept offering. Another? Another? Sure. 

The day just passed. We ate. Saw Gary Numan. Then I ran by myself to see Squeeze who was subbing in for Adam Ant. It was definitely worth it. They sounded great. I drank some water and danced in the sun to "Annie Get Your Gun" while Adrian watched Echo & the Bunnymen from the Clubhouse patio, a band who refused to be filmed on the jumbo screen.

After Squeeze, I ran back to Adrian and we rocked out to Love and Rockets who put on a great set. Then it was time for Iggy Pop and I knew I had to get up there in front. I was second to the rail and I marveled as Iggy sang "The Passenger" and tapped my feet waiting for Siouxsie Sioux. 

Then boom, it was over. Lightening in the sky cancelled the concert. It was abrupt. Scary. Chaotic. They pushed me out to the exit, but Adrian was still inside. I knew we had to get to our locker. I couldn't lose my merch! I begged, pleaded and weaseled my way back in. Suddenly, I found Adrian and it was like a light went on in my head and heart when I saw him. Then our friends called us. Did we need a ride? "Yes!" I shouted. "Yes!" "Yes!"


No comments:

Post a Comment