Panorama of San Bernardino

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Write On

I continue to write. And write. And write. 

I am much better when on task. I've submitted two essays I wrote for my MFA program to places and they were both accepted. One went fast track on the radio and another is coming out in an anthology.

What people don't tell you about writing when you're starting out is three fold. 

First, it's addicting. The highs are higher than anything you've ever felt. Writing a good story is better than any drug. You'll want to do it more and more. You'll lose yourself in it while concurrently finding yourself.

Second, you get out what you put in community wise. That's because writers are very supportive of one another. We know the job (or passion) is thankless monetary wise most times. Yet, everything you give out to support others in their writing will be given back to you ten times. I can't tell you how many gifts of opportunity I've been gifted by other writers. 

When I was first starting out, I remember my teacher, Writer Jo Scott Coe, inviting me to read with her in San Bernardino and I even got paid! It was such an act of generosity as I hadn't published much, just a couple of stories in journals. And I recall my friend, Writer liz gonzález, having me read at her book party. Those opportunities boosted my confidence. They made me realize my voice mattered. They were everything. 

Finally, you'll start to define yourself as a writer. Everything else will start to fade away. No longer will you tell people, in a booming voice, that, "I'm a lawyer!" Instead, you'll say softly, as if you can't fully believe it yourself, "I'm a writer." 

Eventually, you'll peel back your own skin via your pen and find a new human. You will find that you have evolved and changed and you'll never ever be the same.

But most importantly, you'll never want it to end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment