Panorama of San Bernardino

Friday, October 13, 2023

Just let go

Recently, I read an essay on Substack by Junot Diaz. In it, he talked about the pressure we all put on ourselves as creatives, and how it is important to just have fun in our writing and go easy on ourselves.

I realized soon thereafter, that I do my best work when I'm not putting myself "under pressure". I have had a good run recently of writing that I really like. I've written some essays and stories for my MFA program as assignments for workshopping. I just let it flow. 

I must say that because I'm 52, I take all workshopping with a grain of salt. If I like something as is, I might not even revise at all. But I've been lucky to have a great teacher and fellow students that are very supportive. Their comments are helpful. 

Yet, still I remind myself daily that I know who I am as a writer. Not every writer will like my style. And that's okay.

It's also okay that my YA novel has stalled a bit. I love the idea. The characters speak to me. I feel that it will come when it comes. So until then? Just letting go. Breathing and writing. Always.


No comments:

Post a Comment