Panorama of San Bernardino

Monday, October 16, 2023

Up and Away

Today will be a good day I tell myself. I had a great weekend. Saturday, I saw my friend liz gonzález read at the San Bernardino library. She read stories about the city of San Bernardino and about her and her family and it was so inspiring. It reminded me of how much writing matters.  You see, this is important work that moves us. It's nostalgic yes, but also resonant and emotional.

We memoirists are not just writers, we are historians, and we memorialize moments of time and place.

Speaking of time, it's 7 am and because it's Monday, I gotta get to work. My day job as a public defender in Riverside is one I still love. I'm good at it. I enjoy it. It makes me happy to see my clients doing well. Yet. Yet. Yet. It's no longer my identity. I'm changing and evolving on the weekends and early mornings, just waiting for the time when I can fully spread my wings full-time as a writer. And fly. 

Dammit, one day I will fly. Up, up and away, high into the clouds to see the world and write about it. 

One day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment