Panorama of San Bernardino

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

The sound of the wind

They turned off the power yesterday afternoon due to the winds. One minute I was working on a motion listening to the television hum in the background, and then poof, it was eerily quiet. 

I rushed to the Dollar Tree to get ice for the freezers and then to Target to get flashlights and a cordless charger. I found our lanterns. Only one was charged. Always prepared, I sent the revision homework I had done over the weekend for my online MFA class with the internet at Starbucks.

My husband came home early and brought McDonald's. We played Yahtzee when it got dark by candlelight. He turned on the fireplace because it was a bit chilly. I went upstairs to read by lantern light and almost finished a book.

By 8 pm, I was asleep. I woke up at 230 am when the lights came back on. I cheered in my head. Halloween was back.

It's 3 am and the winds are still blowing. My mind is frayed. I think about Matthew Perry's death. He was only 54. I am 52. You can go anytime. They say he was doing well and that he was working on a screenplay project called Mattman.

I have so many dreams left. Will I get to them? I always thought I would live to at least 80. But you never know. You just never know. The power can go out in your life, in your house, and in your heart. 

And sometimes, it happens suddenly, without any warning at all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment