Panorama of San Bernardino

Thursday, October 20, 2022

That's Life

What is life? What's the point? What's the purpose? 

For me, I've recently realized, it's teaching. Teaching students, most of who seem so young to me that I would call them kids. But they're not kids, they are adults in community college.

I used to be one of them. Wait. I am one of them. We don't give up our roots by growing. The roots just get embedded deep into who we are. So my blue collar community college roots are me, both then and now. The UCR and USC law degrees were icing. In a way, transferring out of community college to university was my birthday cake to a new me you see.

The students so inspired me. They're hungry, and idealistic yet also made cynical by systems that hamper and hinder them, especially the incarceration impacted students. Those students were my favorite because they were fighting the odds, and were so resilient they shined bright. It made me cry. 

It made me want to fight for every single one of them to get to university and achieve their dreams. 

So that's life. That's my purpose. Now I just have to see this dream come true. Like almost all my other dreams. My first step is to help curate and moderate a reading by incarceration impacted students. It's gonna be something special. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment