Panorama of San Bernardino

Sunday, October 2, 2022

Lifetime

Life is so strange. It goes by fast. Sometimes too fast. Sometimes too slow.

Friday night I was driving home from LA. I made the mistake of letting my navigation call the shots and took a route I didn't know. It was a little scary driving at night on fast moving freeways (with some scary overpasses that give me massive anxiety) that I was not very familiar with. I was on the 105, the 405 and I think a freeway called the 90 (not the 91 IE friends), all to get to the 605 freeway which I know well and which intersects with the 60, the I 10, and my usual freeway of choice, the 210.  

Well, of course, the minute I hit the 605, boom, there was a freeway closure. A police officer weaved back and fourth to slow traffic down in the lanes right ahead of me and I yelled out an expletive that begins with an F. Traffic was at a dead stop. 

By this time, it was 11 pm. I called my husband from the Bluetooth and told him, this is gonna be a while. Starting to get frustrated, I sighed. Huffed and puffed. But then, I took a deep breath and just surrendered. I put on a podcast and when that finished, I played some music (Lizzo, who I am obsessed with). Blasting the music helped raise my mood, and I sang along and the time passed. Within thirty minutes, we were moving again and I was home, like Cinderella, about midnight. Shoes intact. 

What that showed me was that life and time are relative. It's what you make of them. I could have ruined my beautiful literary night where I had a wonderful time by getting angry at the traffic that I couldn't control. That could have been the story. Instead, I just let go. And shined. And it was fine. So fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment