Panorama of San Bernardino

Friday, October 30, 2020

Halloween blues not orange

Halloween blues is how I'm feeling. I am thinking back to the shows and concerts, such as Nightmare Before Xmas at the Hollywood Bowl and all the Halloween parties I've attended. My cool costumes. Sigh.

I am also thinking about how I always pass out candy with my mom. We sit outside on beach chairs with a big bowl of candy, blankets and booze. I play music and we marvel at all of the kids' costumes. She's hanging out with my twin sister this year instead.

I think of when I was little and how my dad would decorate the house.

Nothing is normal now. My reality has changed. It is a very Twilight Zone kind of life. My main interaction is on Zoom although I do go to court in person for calendar, hearings and trials during the week. Today, I have an in person hearing in court on a medication issue for a client. 

My writing career and podcasts are different too. We figured out how to bring people in virtually and most people appear by phone or on their computer. But on November 4th, my guest will be live! 

School for my MFA is all online and because I'm part time, I don't even have to Zoom. Readings have changed as well. Everything is virtual. When my book comes out next year, I anticipate everything will still be virtual and my daydreams of standing on a stage in front of a crowd may be a pipe's dream.

Yet, there is still the smell of spice in the year. Leaves are falling. The holiday movies abound. To celebrate, I may stop and grab a coffee with pumpkin flavor, just please not too sweet, before court.

I'm sure I will see people wearing Halloween masks today. The covid kind unfortunately.


No comments:

Post a Comment