Panorama of San Bernardino

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Hairdresser on fire

I am a girl who has had hair of many colors. From childhood to junior high, it was a deep brown. In 8th grade, I dyed it a purplish maroon red that shimmered in the sun. In high school, I dyed it blue black. 

After high school, my hair color varied from red to brown to black back to brown. The day I retire, I will dye my tresses pink, green or blue. Or maybe all three 

I always wore my hair curly until recently. Growing up, I had thick Curly Sue ringlets that got thinner as I aged. 

When I was young, I would dream of having pin straight hair with bangs, like Susanna Hoffs' hair, the lead singer from the Bangles. That all changed with my discovery of The Brazilian Blowout some years back. The first time I straightened my hair, I almost didn't recognize myself. 

The grey has come on slowly, little whispers of silver. Despite the modern day coolness of grey hair, I refuse to go grey. Even during Covid, I've been dying my own hair, hiding the signs of my mortality.

I use the excuse of my podcast, but really, I am a bit vain I'll admit. Plus, I love dark hair. For me, Vampire dark hair with a red lip and a thick lined Cleopatra eye is the way to go. So yes, 49 or not, I'm not going silently into the night.

Ever.











No comments:

Post a Comment