Panorama of San Bernardino

Saturday, November 7, 2020

Democracy daze

Four years ago, I was devastated and surprised by the presidential election. This year, I voted early morning on Election Day then turned off the news. This time, I decided, I would not be hurt. I ate two donuts and went to bed early.

Waking up, I was pleasantly surprised with the results. As the day went on, the good news trickled in. By the end of day two then three, I was cautiously optimistic.

Still, I am not jinxing it. I will not celebrate until it is officially called. You can call me superstitious, but I will call myself smart.

If Biden does win, I will breathe a big sigh of relief. These last four years have been difficult. I rarely wade into politics here, so forgive me, but our standing in the world has been forever harmed. The rhetoric that has been used by the hopefully soon to be former President is dangerous and inflammatory. 

Perhaps, it is a good thing that we know now that the democracy we cherish is so fragile. That it was almost brought down by one man is terrifying. That so many stayed silent and joined him is horrifying. And I am praying that soon, very soon, this very long nightmare will be over. Then we can all heal and build new bridges.

So fingers and toes crossed, I sit and wait. 



No comments:

Post a Comment