Panorama of San Bernardino

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Pied piper of creativity

It's 6 am. Per my usual practice, I am listening to some Bowie. He's talking about a star man in the sky. A kind of pied piper to the children. A harbinger of rock and roll. 

I've always been drawn to the idea of other worlds. As a kid, I fell into the Wizard of Oz books. Than the Hobbit. 

I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in the 1970s. It was one of my dad's favorite movies. He loved Kubrick. I probably heard Bowie's song Space Oddity for the first time in junior high in the early 1980s. It drew me in. The mythical astronaut named Major Tom captivated my imagination. I would picture him in my mind's eye drifting in space. The quiet enormous and vast. Constellations floating by. A little prince of sorts. 

Thinking about this with relation to my creative bursts is interesting. Writing is a muscle. You can learn how to write well. Yet creativity is the adrenaline you need. It's the propeller. The accelerant. The rocket fuel.

I am not always in a creative frame of mind. My best stories come out almost fully formed. They take a lot of pondering. I sometimes feel as if I've lost that spark. Then I find the flame again. Music always helps. Like now. 

So I turn the music up and write. Then write some more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment