Panorama of San Bernardino

Thursday, January 18, 2024

Melancholy, Madness, Hamlet and My Dog

Dear readers, I've been neglecting you. If you only knew. My dog Chewbacca has been very ill, I've been slammed at work, and I'm taking a Shakespeare class that I am a tad obsessed with.

Hamlet is an interesting character. He's soulful, philosophical and revengeful. He can be callous, manipulative and yet, I feel for him. Life has driven him a bit mad and he's had to suck on a lot of lemons.

You wonder what would have happened had the ghost, or whatever it is, had just left him alone. Prince Hamlet may have had suspicions, but perhaps he would have let them go. His father was dead, but if he'd never received confirmation of his uncle poisoning his father, perhaps he could have just lived his life with his mom and newly anointed stepfather. Would Hamlet and Ophelia be married? Maybe Hamlet would have written a book about philosophy. Would Polonius still be alive, no doubt waxing on and on and on? 

But maybe what Shakespeare was trying to show was that everyone eventually gets their due. All acts have consequences. And all of us must live with our choices. 

I felt a bit like Hamlet this week. Melancholiness is also something I've been dealing with. I'm far from mad but very sad about Chewbacca's health and having to reconcile what's to come eventually. I know, you non dog obsessed people might think, he's just a dog. But he's not. I've spent more than 15 years caring for this fur covered, neurotic, lovable and soulful Shih Tzu.

But life goes on. The sun rises and sets. The world turns. And as Hamlet would say, "The rest is silence."

No comments:

Post a Comment