Panorama of San Bernardino

Friday, November 17, 2023

Why I love 5 am

It's 5 am. This time is all mine. I listen to the dog snore. My husband breathe. I read an article about a band I like. I post a graphic about my good friend's book party. I snuggle under my Ralph Lauren comforter.

I think about a few of my clients from yesterday and my amazing public defense colleagues. They're warriors and they all work so hard for a needy population. My best day is when I get someone out of custody and I did. But still, it was a wicked busy day. I wasn't perfect. I was a bit overwhelmed at times. Not always patient. I just did my best. By the end of the day, I was wrecked and of course, there was yet another fire to put out in the late afternoon. 

When I got home, I went to bed early after watching re runs of The West Wing (I'm on my fourth or fifth viewing of the totality of the series, it's my thing).

Then I woke up. And it was an entirely new day. That's why I love 5 am. It's a burgeoning day full of possibilities. And yes, I forgot to charge my phone, and I have stuff to get done today, yet still, the time feels magical. It's as if I can accomplish anything today. At 5 am.



No comments:

Post a Comment