Panorama of San Bernardino

Friday, May 13, 2022

Because I do

Last night, we saw the LA punk band X in Riverside. We've seen them too many times to count, but this felt different. After a horrible work day, I felt free. 

It felt pre Covid. Unmasked, I sat outside with the bestie and our husbands in the atrium. My eyes kept drifting to band member (and legend) Billy Zoom in the corner. 

There were two opening bands so X went on late, about 930. I immediately ran to the front. The venue wasn't crowded so it was pretty easy to jostle about halfway to the front. Then, a pretty blond girl said, "I'll help you get up there" and she elbowed and pushed me to the second row of people. How I get so lucky I don't know, but I do. 

Near the stage, about a few feet from the band, I jumped up and down to the songs "Los Angeles" and "Blue Spark". Exene wore a dress and apron with cowboy boots and she was on point dancing and singing as only she can do. John Doe was as brilliant in his harmonies as ever with her. 

When their sad ballad "Come Back To Me" (a grief filled song I reference in my memoir) came on, I moved to the back with hubby and swayed. Teary eyed, I danced in his arms.

It was a night to remember friends. And Saturday is the Cruel World Festival! Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment