Panorama of San Bernardino

Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Saying yes (again)

This Sunday I am in a performance called Manecdotes. It's all the way in Burbank. I live in San Bernardino so it's a two hour drive minimum. There's also an evening rehearsal mid-week. Ask me, why do I do this to myself? The answer is, I don't know. 

I suppose I decided to do this again, the perform in LA thing, on a whim. I've lately sworn off driving to LA due to my nighttime driving issues and my overactive bladder. I've pulled over way too many times to pee at a McDonald's or an AM PM just praying I would make it. 

But the Colony Theater that I'm performing at is lovely, the producer/director is easy to work with and the cast of writers reading their short, true stories about fathers and fatherhood is incredible. When I got the call, I just said yes!

Many great things have happened to me due to my predilection for agreeing to things on a whim. My job as a public defender was offered to me after a second interview and without thinking of the financial hit, I said yes. I gave up my big firm paycheck without even thinking about it. It was one of the best decisions of my life. I also said yes to a reading at Beyond Baroque that my friend liz put together years back and her publisher was the one who published my full-length memoir. And when Covid hit and an online poetry class was offered by a poet I loved, I said yes and signed up and the poems I wrote in class eventually led to my hybrid chapbook about public defense and punk rock. 

So saying yes is good. It usually leads to something. You never know who will be in an audience, especially in Burbank. Let's see what happens. I'll just make sure not to drink too much coffee or Diet Coke.


No comments:

Post a Comment