Panorama of San Bernardino

Monday, February 28, 2022

Barking at the moon

I've been neglecting you dear blog. And I'm sorry. It's been almost two weeks. Where did the time go? I know where. To work and to my project for school. This weekend was full of me working on my play adaption, cuppa coffee in hand.

Coffee is my main drug of choice right now. I say main because Advil helps too. I get headaches from so much computer use and Saturday, my neck ached from the hours spent staring into a screen. 

Many don't know, but I write my blog on my phone but with the formatting of play adaption, it's not doable on a small device. 

I thought adapting it would be easy. But writing/adapting a play is a whole new animal. There's descriptions, staging, stage directions and revising and adding dialogue. And the formatting!! Torture. Self imposed torture.

The chapter I'm currently adapting is dialogue heavy, but it's still super difficult to figure this out. It pains me, but when I get an even small section done (I'm on page twelve after three weekends of working on this), I'm happy. It's rewarding I guess. Tedious. But rewarding.

Last night, Frodo was barking for hours. He started in about midnight. Padding downstairs, I asked him, "what's wrong?" After taking him out over and over, I'd had it. By the fourth time, I took him out in the back, looked up at the sky and thought, just bark at the moon. 

In a way, we're all just barking at the moon, living lives of quiet and not so quiet desperation (credit to Thoreau for that paraphrased quote) with occasional moments of bliss.

Like when you get that scene just right. It is wonderful. It is true blue like you. It's all we can do. So write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment