Panorama of San Bernardino

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Hello world

Today, I realized that I need to go outside more. It's easy with remote working to stay inside our cocoons. Being snuggled inside for hours may be cozy but is it healthy? We are isolating ourselves. 

Court days are a reprieve in a way. I stress the day before, prepping my cases, and reading reports in a frenzy of productivity. Yet court is usually anti-climatic. Most of my stress is self created. I am setting a trial but it is a bench trial.

Still, I am aware that all of us on the front line are in harm's way. We still need to be careful. Watch ourselves. Protect ourselves. Practice safe practices for us and our clients. But still create a connection. I shake hands with my out of custody client and his father wishing I could hug them.

Office life has changed. I sit alone in my office memorializing my day after court. I miss walking to get coffee on my breaks. I miss lunches with co-workers and chats in the break room when I walk over to get a Diet Coke.

I miss the pop ins into my office. "Juanita, you got a minute?" 

"Of course!" I would always say waving the attorney in. I am a social butterfly by nature. I love to talk about work, as well as music, movies and television. 

My wings have been clipped.

Yesterday, I took a phone consult from a newbie attorney on a case. It was nice to hear a fresh voice. I miss that. I kept her on the phone far too long because I was craving a new human connection.

Today I have a work lunch zoom that I'm actually looking forward to! 

Imagine that?

No comments:

Post a Comment