Panorama of San Bernardino

Thursday, September 7, 2023

Purposefully

Yesterday, I had the day off for a presentation at CSUSB. It was virtual. I took the day off because I wanted to be centered and present. I wanted time to get dressed and feel myself outside of my job. 

The topic was on race and policing. The CSUSB series I spoke at was started as a reaction to the murder of George Floyd as was my own first book, so it seemed fitting. And it was. 

I felt like myself up there reading and then answering questions. I felt as if I could speak my truth. And that everyone heard me. 

Presenting virtually is an art. I have learned through my podcasting that the best way to be present is through preparation. I'm always prepared. Always. Yet you can't lean too much on a script. It has to be a truth telling performance. You have to be able to just be you up there in Zoom land. 

Feeling good is also a big part. I washed and towel dried my hair to curly perfection. I did my makeup twice after my eyeliner bled from my sweat. I wore a black dress and a cardigan, gold hoops and my course, my gold Bowie bolt necklace. 

It's all about the intention for me. I'm there to let the kids (I'm clearly old because to me, 20 is a kid now) know that I wrote the book for them. Especially my longer YA memoir (my second book to be published but it was started many moons ago). It's for anyone who felt like an outcast and for anyone who's made a mistake they had to fight back from. Really, and truly, all I'm here to say is that I'm me, you're you, let's connect. And read my books, pretty please. I wrote them to be read. Because I had, and certainly still do have, something to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment