Panorama of San Bernardino

Monday, June 20, 2022

Writing with Magic

The other day I had my friend, teacher and writer Stephanie Barbé Hammer on my podcast. Check it out. https://juanitaemantz.com/life-of-jem-season-2-episode-9-writing-with-magic%EF%BF%BC/

She talked about using magical realism to allow oneself to write fiction in a freeing way. As a memoir writer I needed this inspiration, so here goes... part memoir, part fiction, but magic.

My shih tzus started talking. Truly. Not just in my head which is usually the way they talk. Which I translate into their voices occasionally for my own amusement.

But this was different. This was real. As soon as my husband left for work, Chewbacca looked at me and said in a quite human sounding high voice, "More toast please Mom." Then Frodo cleared his throat like an old man and said with an English accent, "I'll have some more too please." They both wagged their tales and acted like this was completely normal.

I shook my head and said aloud, "What the hell?"

Chewie looked at me, and waved his furry ears and blinked his caramel colored eyes at me. He repeated himself in that same high voice, "Toast please." 

Frodo walked up and turned his black and white back up at me to scratch and said, again in a strange English almost Cockney accent , "What are you waiting for my lady? Toast time. With jelly."

So I made toast. They never spoke again that morning or any other. I still don't know whether they ever will again. But at least I know Frodo sounds British and Chewie sounds like a high voiced pixie. 



No comments:

Post a Comment