Panorama of San Bernardino

Monday, June 6, 2022

Boredom

There's a Buzzcocks song called boredom. I keep thinking of it as I sit here in my punk t shirt drinking coffee. There's this line that has always spoken to me, 

"You see, I'm living in this a-movie

But it doesn't move me..."

I feel like that a lot. As if I'm watching myself. And I'm so bored with all of it. With the 8 to 5 job, with the daily routine, and with the suits in court. 

The law profession can be very male centered at times, despite the fact of so many fabulous female lawyers. 

Men take up more space. They take it as their right. Their privilege. They define what people think of as a lawyer. A white man in a dark suit and tie is what people think of as a lawyer. That and an undertaker.

The other day, I was asked in court by both lawyers and clients if I was an assistant to a lawyer or a paralegal. I thought to myself, why is this happening? I'm fifty years old, I've been a lawyer twenty years, I went to USC Law and I wore a suit to court today. But it's not me, it's them. 

They're all so fucking boring. One of these days, probably when I'm near retirement, I'm gonna wear a plaid punk suit with zippers and safety pins to court just to show the absurdity of it all. They may kick me out, but it will be too late. I'll just give them the bird and sing a little song, 

"You know the scene, very humdrum
Boredom, boredom
B'dum, b'dum"

(Buzzcocks, circa 1977)

No comments:

Post a Comment