Panorama of San Bernardino

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Hey baby it's the Fourth of July

There's a song X sings called "The Fourth of July". It's one of my favorites by them even though it's written by Dave Alvin of the Blasters. The chorus reads,

"On the stairs I smoke a
 cigarette alone
. Mexican kids are shooting
 fireworks below. And hey, baby, it's the Fourth of July. Hey, baby, it's the Fourth of July."

Yesterday was the Fourth of July. Maybe I shoulda started with that. It was uneventful. My husband and I woke up and went to the pet store and then to the dollar tree. 

When we got home, I made a potato salad and some elote to go with my husband's ribs. We listened to music on the patio. Ate chips and salsa. I called my sister Roberta in Kansas City. I watched a movie on Netflix with my mother-in-law. Then I read my moon cards. They were auspicious.

By seven pm, I was spent. My husband watched a soccer game downstairs while Chewbacca and I trotted upstairs. I jumped under the covers and patted the side of the bed and cuddled Chewbacca as he shivered at the loud bangs in the distance. 

Right before I tumbled into sleep, the lyric whispered in my head again, "Hey baby, it's the Fourth of July."


No comments:

Post a Comment