Panorama of San Bernardino

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Yesterday

Yesterday, I felt something I hadn’t in a while. Joy.

I was at work. I was slammed. Running around as usual. Trying to get my paperwork done and my cases called.

But then, I slowed down. I talked to a client outside for an hour about her son after I got her case dismissed. She hugged me. She thanked me over and over and her gratitude was food for my soul.

Another client’s family came up and thanked me. They brought me a beautiful card. They hugged me.

Another family member thanked me. Blessed me.

My heart swelled. It was as if a higher power was putting all of the love on one day to remind me that it’s all I need.


A writing friend posted an excerpt from a poem called Kindness by Naomi Shihab Nye and it really spoke to me. Here’s a portion of it:


“Before you know kindness as the deepest thing inside, you must know sorrow as the other deepest thing. You must wake up with sorrow. You must speak to it till your voice catches the thread of all sorrows and you see the size of the cloth. Then it is only kindness that makes sense anymore...”

I guess what I realized yesterday is that you have to be present and you have to be kind. The universe will pay you back tenfold.

And, all of my sorrow has a purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment