Panorama of San Bernardino

Friday, September 27, 2013

Mad World

"And I find it kind of funny.  I find it kind of sad.  The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've  ever had."  Mad World (version by Tears for Fears).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This world of ours is crazy.  It is a mad world.  Not mad in a Mad Max kind of way, but mad in a 1984 Orwellian kind of way or maybe Animal Farm.

We live in a caste ridden society.  There are so many hierarchies in this world we call America.  There is a peasant class.  We just don't want to admit it.

This world is not fair.  You can work your ass off and go nowhere.  You can commit a fraud crime and end up in prison for ten years or if you're white collar you can end up a billionaire.

Many things make no sense to me.  How I got lucky and others did not.

I see my clients in the jails and it amazes me how we can take a person's freedom away before trial because they do not have the money to post bail.

The fact that we let bail bondsmen determine who goes free pre-trial is outrageous.  In the end, money or the lack thereof is the determining factor.  And those who are incarcerated pre-trial plead guilty to defensible crimes at an alarming rate.  We know this.  Yet, we do nothing.

Why aren't people screaming in the streets?  I suppose it is because we are used to seeing this as a society and think it can't happen to us.  We think that we are above the long or short arm (depending where you are in society) of the law.

But no one is.  We are just the lucky ones.  Or maybe we are in a Mad Max world where only the strong (in this version the rich) survive.


No comments:

Post a Comment