Panorama of San Bernardino

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Year

I have decided that I want to live the life of a writer, at least for a year.  Some things you just know and recently, I have had the overwhelming urge to write full-time.  My job as a public defender is rewarding but taxing.  It doesn't allow me to completely focus on my writing.

Truth is, I need a year.  Just one year to write.  To spend my days thinking up stories and writing and editing.

Is a year too much to ask?

My memoir is almost finished but it needs substantial revising and editing.  There are some holes to fill as well.  Plus, I have other books in me.  I want to write a romantic and realistic and kinda anti-romantic, love story.  I want to write a YA fiction novel.  I want, I want, I want to write full-time.  Before it is too late.

I have grey hairs spouting up on the left side of my head that remind me that life goes quickly.  I am forty plus (don't ask) and the years speed by faster the older one gets.  I think it has something to do with the proportion of time left.  To think about it makes my head hurt.  Yet, I must think about it.  I must remember that I only have this NOW, this life to live and I have my writing destiny to fulfill.

Now I just gotta figure out how to make it happen.


4 comments:

  1. THe first step is knowing what you want. If this is a real goal for you: you CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could ask to work part-time see if the PD's office will let you take a sabbatical. Or if you can afford it, quit the PD, work on writing full time while maybe doing free lance editing and writing for others on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to recommend the same thing, dear. As much as I loved having the freedom to write full-time, I would recommend easing into it by doing part-time work. To go from 60 to 0 in terms of work pressure has an odd effect on your mental state and it might also impact the writing/revising. But we can talk more about it if you like. You're a great writer, so I know that you can make this happen!

      Delete