Panorama of San Bernardino

Friday, January 13, 2012

Pictures of You

(Myself, Kenny G (my date for homecoming), Kenny B, my bff Tracy, Gene and Chrissy

Pictures are strange,  They bring back so much.  I saw the above pictures and I was instantly transported back in time to the 1980's.  My husband saw the same pictures and commented in his usual droll way that the pictures were like something out of a more punkier John Hughes movie.

High school was an interesting time for me.  My parents had lost their house and we were roaming from rental to rental like a band of nomads.  I had morphed from preppie geek girl to punk rocker between freshman and sophmore year.  My once light brown hair was dyed blue black, I pierced my nostril and wore a uniform of all black with monkey boots on most days. 

When the homecoming dance came around, my friend Tracy and I went dress shopping.  We idolized Siouxsie Sioux of Siouxsie and the Banshees and wanted to emulate her.  I found the perfect dress: all black with a sheen to it to match my hair.  Tracy found a black lace dress that hugged her waist.

I don't remember much from that night.  I am sure I drank too much and I remember that Kenny G wore a shiny silver suit and Kenny B carried a cane and top hat.

What is also interesting is how my perception of myself that night was so warped.  I remember feeling fat.  Yet, looking back all I see is a curvy, young rather Goth looking girl with fabulous blue black hair who had style.

Even though I may pretend, deep down inside I am not the staid and lawyerly type.  I am still a rebel.  So last night when my hair stylist asked me, "Are you sure you want to go that dark.  That's really black."

My head moved up and down and I said firmly, "Fuck it.  Go for it."

All I need now are some combat boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment