Panorama of San Bernardino

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

The light

I met with my advisor last night for my MFA creative nonfiction program at the University of New Orleans. Finally, I can see the finish line. It's been a long road. After all these years, I finally have an anticipated graduation date. I have been going very part time for almost 4 years and it looks like I will graduate in Fall 2025. That's a year and a half away, but I started this process so long ago. It feels like eons, so to realize that graduation can happen in the foreseeable future, well it is a big relief. After having my surgeries a few years ago, I thought if I don't finish and graduate, that's okay too. 

This graduation date assumes that I will take a class this summer and do my thesis hours (for my play adaption of my memoir if they allow it). I also have to stay on track next year. But I am gonna graduate, hopefully with my 4.0 GPA intact. 

I'm going to travel to New Orleans (with hubby) to walk in my cap and gown because this degree is really all for me. Just for me. It isn't practical like my USC Law degree. It is my dream, and I just keep thinking, New Orleans baby. Of all places. It seems fitting. 

Having a MFA won't make me a writer because this I know, I'm already one. Yet, I'm over the moon. I can see it happening. I am almost there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment