Panorama of San Bernardino

Friday, March 8, 2024

Epiphany epiphanies

So I'm having some epiphanies. Work has been a little overwhelming of late and I've realized a few things. I'm basically a happy person. I love writing, reading, and helping people. Plus, I'm a natural scholar and I'm enthusiastic. 

I met with my professor for my Shakespeare class at lunch a few days ago to talk about my final paper, and she was so encouraging and kind. She told me I was a joy to have in class and she loved my perspective on law and literature. She encouraged me to continue writing about law and literature. 

The interaction was so markedly different than what I am used to as a lawyer. It made me realize that I'm a bit stunted and don't always feel encouraged to be me. And look, I'm a tough girl, I am. I don't need someone to hold my hand or give me positive affirmations but sometimes I just wish I was appreciated for everything and all I am. And that people saw me. 

But you can't make that happen. Another epiphany. I can't control how others see me. People see me through their own lens which can be distorted by their own biases and perceptions. As Ru Paul says, what others think of me is none of my business. So I've realized that I just need to do me. As my friend told me recently, "do you boo." 

So I shall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment