Panorama of San Bernardino

Saturday, March 9, 2024

Asleep

Life is poignant. Things are going good and then of course, a hiccup. Chewbacca is struggling health wise again and I am struggling emotionally. Where do I go from here? How do I know when to let him go? I'm selfish I admit. I love him very much.  

But I don't want Chewie to be in pain or watch him suffer. He's fifteen years old. He's been spoiled, snuggled and loved beyond measure his whole life. I'm happy we have had him this long. He adds a lot of joy to my life. When I come home and see his fluffy face and his tongue hanging out, and he runs up to me, it makes me happy no matter how bad my day's been. 

They say dogs teach us how to grieve because their life spans are shorter than ours. Losing Frodo was hard, but I know losing Chewbacca will be unbearably harder. It will be like losing a piece of myself. But I just hope I'm strong enough to make the right decision when it's time. 

I have to take Chewie to the groomer today and should get him up. He looks so peaceful as he snores and I don't want to wake up him yet. So I pat his head, kiss his little brown nose and watch him sleep. 


No comments:

Post a Comment