Panorama of San Bernardino

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Be still the heart

We just had a huge scare. My shih tzu Chewbacca, who is a spoiled 15 year old fur monster, started not feeling well last week. He has a very severe heart condition so we thought that was the issue. He was shivering and had a fever. I slept with him downstairs on the futon and cuddled him. Chewie whimpered in his sleep. 

After two days, I decided I have to take him in. His vet recently moved his practice to Santa Monica but he is in Glendora on Tuesdays. Because I couldn't reach him, I decided to try the emergency vet. 

Adrian drove me to the emergency. Chewie shivered and cried little yelps the whole way. When we got there, I advised them of his heart condition and they said his breathing was labored and they were going to get the oxygen tent ready. I said okay and put down a hefty deposit. Then they said they needed X-Rays and were going to an IV of Lasix to treat his heart.

The "beginning" estimate was a thousand dollars and they said they were going to keep him there over night and I could come back later. Something told me to leave. I just didn't feel right leaving him there. Plus, Adrian had said he thought it was an infection. Despite their warnings, I went with my gut  and checked Chewie out against their advice. Basically, I ran out of there with Chewie in my arms after paying their hefty exam fee.

The next morning, I took him to see his long time vet. It turns out, Adrian was right. It was an infection, a severe urinary tract one. After taking the liquid antibiotics, Chewbacca apparently perked up immediately. It was as if he had escaped death's door. My vet allowed to do a drop off before work And when I picked him up, I knew he was going to be okay.

So be still my heart, Chewbacca lives on. It's a happy ending to this story my friends. 


If you want to help support this blog and my podcast, which is all self funded, buy me a coffee here: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/jemmantz4

No comments:

Post a Comment