Panorama of San Bernardino

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Chair


My mouth is numb. Drool spills out of the corner of my mouth while my husband stands over me with a drill in his hand.

"Raise your hand if there's pain," he says in a gentle voice. I'm always in pain in the chair so I raise my hand.

"We haven't started yet," he says shaking his head. He knows I'm fucking with him.

Did I mention I hate going to the dentist but my husband Adrian, a dentist, cajoles me into regular visits. I am a horrible patient.

I get anxious and my heart pounds as soon as I sit in the chair. It doesn't matter that I trust Adrian. It doesn't matter that I know he knows what he is doing. He's a guy with a drill in my mouth.

Working on me is likewise hard on Adrian. "You're the worst patient," he always says when he gets home.

He's lucky I come in at all.

Earlier, when I sat down in the chair he told me to relax and open wide. I wanted to make a dirty joke but restrained myself. Instead, I asked him if he had noise canceling headphones. I know he doesn't. To further annoy him, I proceeded to make fun of his music. In response, Adrian made a face and took a needle and pierced my gums.

Fuck that hurt, I thought to myself as I raised my hand and muttered, "This is going in the story."

4 comments:

  1. I hate the dentist! But it's a must. I'm sure Adrian is a great guy but standing over me he is the enemy...
    Oh, if you can afford to do so, take the time off work and write. Explore it. We only go through this life once. I tell my kids to do what they love...the money will follow. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mike t! I appreciate you. Hope all is well. I have a book, well two coming out... let me know if you'd like to come to the book party!

      Delete
  2. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. bentwood chairs wholesale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you!!! Thanks for commenting and reading!!

      Delete