Panorama of San Bernardino

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Taming of the Shrew

The other morning at seven a.m., I had a meltdown in the driveway.  Afterwards, images of my mother screaming at my dad in the front yard when I was little flashed in my head like sugar covered plums on Christmas.   

My morning had started out hectic as usual.  I woke up at five a.m. and went to the gym.  After running the treadmill for an hour I got home by six and walked the dogs.  I rushed my shower reducing my usual fifteen minute shower down to five minutes and blow dried and straightened my hair.  I looked at the clock and hissed when I saw that it was already seven.  Parking has been horrible this last week so in order to get a "free" county space, I must be in the parking lot by 7:45 a.m.  It usually takes me about twenty five minutes to get to work so I was cutting it close.

I threw on my clothes and ran down the stairs.  I watered and fed the dogs and grabbed my keys and jumped in my car.  7:15.  I had just enough time. 

When I looked to my right, I saw my neighbor's trash cans on the curb.  Fuck.  Wednesday is trash day. 

I ran back in the house, pushed the button to open the garage door and pulled the trash cans to the curb one by one cussing under my breath. 

When I got back to my car, Adrian was sitting in his car warming it up.  He doesn't have to be at the dental office in Hesperia until 9 a.m. on Wednesdays but he usually goes early and hangs out at Starbucks.  How relaxing.

Double fuck.  The garage door was still open and I lost my remote last week.  I looked at Adrian sitting in his car and motioned toward the open garage door.  No response.  I turned off my car and looked at him.  He shrugged. 

"This is bullshit," I thought to myself as I slammed my car door and walked back into the house to close the garage door. 

As I walked back outside Adrian was still sitting in his car and something inside of me snapped. 

"Fuck, you need to help me more Adrian" I screamed like a possessed banshee and flipped Adrian off not once but twice.

I pulled away tires screeching and saw my next door neighbor and his kids standing by their front door. 

On my drive to work, I called Adrian on my speaker phone.  "What is wrong with you?" he said in a perplexed voice.  He had no clue. 

I feel like I do everything.  And, instead of just letting it go, i.e. letting the trash sit in the garage for two weeks, I push myself to get it all done and then bitch about it.

I know screaming isn't productive, but sometimes I feel like us shrews get a bad rap.  When people nag others it is because shit isn't getting done. 

And I get shit done.

So fuck it, this shrew won't be tamed, although I will try and confine her to the interior of the house from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment